Do you have dreams or ideas about things you’d love to have or accomplish? Having the dream is the easy part but making it a reality can be a lot more challenging. However, the good news is that there are proven techniques that can help get you from where you are, to where you want to be.
Learn how to turn your dreams into reality:
1. Turn your dream into a goal
When you have a goal, you have a true target. For a greater chance of success, your plan should have a deadline and it must be measurable.
* It has been said that dreams are goals without a deadline. Give yourself more focus by setting a deadline and things will start to happen.
* You want your goal to be measurable because, if you can’t measure it, how will you know when you’ve succeeded?
* For example, this goal is measurable and has a deadline: “On or before July 1, I will have passed my driving theory test.”
* Make your goal as desirable as possible without being unrealistic. If you feel that your goal is unreasonable, it’s much more difficult to encourage yourself to actually pursue it.
2. Prioritise your goal daily
Reaffirm your goal each day.
* You give instructions to your brain thousands of times a day. Let your mind know that your goal is something more important than, “I feel like eating a cheese sandwich,” or “I need to stop at the supermarket on the way home.”
3. Make a list of negative associations
You may have unhelpful thoughts that hold you back from achieving your goal or you’d probably already have done it. So make a list of all the negative excuses you use for not completing your target. Perhaps you struggle with shyness?
* Examine that list and think of ways to work around those challenges.
* Each time you notice a new negative association with your goal, add it to the list. Things will tend to change over time and new challenges may occur.
4. Make a list of all the positives about reaching your goal
How would it make you feel? How would it change your life? How would it change your perspective of the world and yourself? What would your next goal be?
* Make your goal as attractive as possible. Imagine your life after achieving the goal. This will help to keep your motivation levels high.
5. Consider what you need to make your goal a reality
Do you need to special licence or qualifications? Is there some knowledge or training you must acquire? Do you need a laptop? Make a list of what you need and figure out how you’re going to get it.
6. Who do you know that could be helpful?
What expertise or items do you need that someone else might have? Where can I find more information to help locate what I need?
* Achieving difficult goals can rarely be accomplished alone. You’re likely to need some help and guidance.
7. Track your progress
Measure your progress each day.
* Tracking is critical to making continued progress. You can only adjust your approach if you know how you’re doing. Consider making a chart if that’s helpful to reaching your goal.
In some ways, working towards a goal is like following a food recipe. If you follow the tried and tested steps carefully, the end results are more likely to be positive and therefore your dreams will become easier to achieve.
8. Enjoy your achievements
You worked hard to make the dream a reality. Be proud of yourself and focus on how good it feels. You’ve done it once, you can achieve anything now!